Saturday, January 31, 2009

Heavy Week

I've been working all week on trying to finish something for tomorrow's small press fair. I was previously hoping to do two or even 3 different strips - but i have only just managed to finish one.

Also this week, my first workshop at Colnbrook Detention Centre (I give legal advice to detainees). The whole experience left me incredibly depressed: people who have been detained 3, 4, 5 years beyond their criminal sentence, because they are foreign. It would be fine if they were being deported, but they aren't. They are just rotting in detention, slowly going mad, because the Home Office can't or won't obtain travel documents and it's too politically dangerous to release any of them. In the evening, after the workshop, coincidentally, was the LDSG report launch on indefinite detention: detained lives. It looks like an interesting report, and I look forward to reading it. Alisdair Mackenzie spoke - always amusing and value for money, but Alison Harvey of ILPA was the most impressive and impassioned speaker.

Here is a drawing I just did. It was supposed to be a self-portrait, but doesn't really look like me, still, interesting...


No comments: