Friday, February 5, 2010


Just returned from the Angouleme Comics Festival. To be honest, I found the experience a real downer - there's just so much stuff out there, and I can't see how my stuff fits into the picture. I'd spent the previous 2 weeks scanning pages into my computer and cleaning them up so that I could get them together: that's the first 235 pages of 'Year Zero'.

The thing is, when I was drawing them, I was doing it as fast as possible, because I wanted to learn how to draw fast and also to make up a story on the hoof. Flicking through it now, though, and it looks pretty thin stuff. I think for the next 240 pages or so (I'm on page 268 at the moment, out of 500) I'll work at it more, and put in lots of dense blacks, because they seem to reproduce well.

The Bicycle Thief still stands up though, although I'm a bit sick of people saying it looks like Quentin Blake. I love Quentin Blake, the man is a genius, but I don't want my work to be identified with his like I'm copying him or something. It's just because I use dots for eyes sometimes and I'm a bit scribbly.

Still, going to Angouleme gave me a chance to buy lots of new BDs. I think maybe I'll review a few and write about them here.

1 comment:

John Paul Welding said...

Iknow how you feel about the sheer weight of material on show at Angouleme, are we just adding to the mush? I like to think anyone who produces something there has the very same feeling. And we go away and try a little bit harder for next time.